Annual General Meeting, 2023
Jonathan Holland spoke about the extremely busy year for the committee.
- A back fence and retaining wall was installed with the cost shared by the club and Boroondara Council. It addressed stilt that was drifting onto the court from the kindergarten.
- A new pit-drain was installed to address silt drifting onto court 1
- Courts 3 & 4 are being resurfaced. A subcommittee was formed comprising Phil Jay, Chris Warton, Catriona Galbraith, Phil Jay and Mark Watkinson. The courts will receive a new concrete base, syn clay surface, net tie downs, fencing and drinking fountain at a cost of $180k.
- Several events have been held including Single Club Championships, Doubles Club Championships, Family Doubles Day and a Pro-Am event. Participation could be have been higher in the Family Tennis Day and Pro-Am events. given the number of members. JH thanks Maureen Spencer, who wished to thank members of the events subcommittee: Deb and Andrew Taylor, Nima Roshan and Andrew Cox, as well as Brett Morey, Mark Watkinson, Shima Ibuki and Darren and Sam Bates for their support at different events.
- CTC has strong membership continuing with 483 members as at 27 March, and an expectation that membership numbers will far exceed last years by the end of the year.
- CTC is strongly represented in both Junior and Senior competition, and is a member of both the Eastern Ranges Tennis Association and the Blackburn District Night Tennis Association.
- Junior Competition: 7 of the 14 teams made semi-finals, 5 progressed to finalsand 3 earned title of premiers.
- Andrew Henry the Junior Convenor has organised club shirts for Juniors and has helped to develop an extremely successful Junior Section. Thank you Andrew for your time and effort.
- Mark Watkinson the Maintenance Officer has assured the committee the hanging of pennant flags is his next priority.
- ERT: 2 of the 5 senior teams made semi-finals. Thank you to Chris Thomson for managing ERT senior competition.
- BDNTA: 10 of 20 teams made semi-finals, 4 won semi-finals and grand finals. The number of teams means a never ending requirement to find outside courts. Thank you to Phil and Maureen for helping source courts and Nat Dunphy the BDNTA night convenor for her efforts.
- Midweek Eastern Metropolitan Region Ladies’ Tennis Association: this team is organised by Rhonda Liu, plays on Tuesday mornings and has attracted new members.
- Maintenance: Mark Watkinson our maintenance officer has a never ending list of activities and makes himself available 24/7 for emergencies and has recently had to deal with gas leaks and water mains issues at all times of the day and night. A big thank you to Mark for keeping the club running. Mark asks for thanks to be passed to Andrew Cox and David Apps for their assistance.
- Coaching: Nima continues to run his highly regarded tennis coaching program at CTC. Last year his contract was renewed for 5 years with an option for a further 5 years. Thanks to Nima for his continued support of the club through his coaching program and all of his other ancillary/extra activities.
- Council Lease renewal: a new lease agreement has been signed with Boroondara Council to secure club tenancy for another 5 years.
Jonathan Holland thanked all the Committee members individually for their hard work over the past year.